The North Carolina Radon Program

North Carolina Radiation Protection Section

NC Division of Health Service Regulation

NC Department of Health and Human Services

Contact Information

5505 Creedmoor Rd, Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27612

1645 MSC, Raleigh NC 27699-1645

(828) 712-0972

Order A Test Kit

By clicking here

Financial Assistance for Mitigation

If you are unable to pay for mitigation, there are two assistance programs that may be able to help you either pay for the system or get a loan to mitigate your home.

If you meet the federal criteria of being in poverty, you may be eligible for a “forgivable loan.”

The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency helps low-income homeowners who need urgent repairs, accessibility modifications, comprehensive rehabilitation or energy-related home improvements by providing funds to local governments and nonprofit organizations which provide these services.

We do not provide funding directly to individuals.

If you need help financing necessary home repairs, such as radon mitigation, go to their website and find the local organization that serves your county.

more information...

If you DO NOT meet the federal criteria of being in poverty, you may be eligible for a loan that will allow you to make payments to get your home mitigated.

The North Carolina Self Help Credit Union

Your home should be a safe place. But high levels of a radioactive gas called radon could be putting you at risk. Exposure to radon in the home is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., second only to smoking.

Here's the good news: testing for radon is easy and affordable, and there are several proven methods to reduce radon in your home. Most homes can be fixed for about the same cost as other common home repairs.

Don't have enough cash on hand to pay for radon mitigation? Self-Help is here to help. Radon mitigation loans can help you manage the cost of fixing this serious health hazard.

Go to the Self Help Credit Union website for more information: or To apply, contact Steve Reardon: or (919) 956-4669